Welcome to my blog. I see this as a place to reflect on my teaching practices and to share ideas and strategies with other teachers.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Updated Literacy Centers

You can read my previous post describing my literacy centers by clicking here.

After attending some professional development this summer, I decided to make some changes to my literacy centers in order to allow students more autonomy and choice.  For the most part, my centers are run the same as they have always been.  The only difference is that I do not tell students to which center they must go.  Instead, I allow them to select their center, as long as they do not repeat the same center in one week.

I created a new center chart which resembles my old one.  The only difference is that the new one has six dots for each center.  These dots represent the maximum number of students who can attend that center at once.



As part of their morning jobs, students will use a labeled clothespin to clip the dot showing which center they wish to attend that day.  After clipping the dot, they will also color that symbol on their Literacy Center Tracking Chart (to ensure they don't repeat any centers during the week).


Instead of assigning a leader for each center each week, I instead added the job of "Center Leader" to our class helper jobs.  Students choose their jobs each Friday afternoon for the following week.  So, two or three students can choose to be center leaders.  When students need help, the Center Leaders will fill in for the teacher and provide help.

 

You can read all about my class helper jobs here.





1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you earn royalties of 70%. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com/blog/

    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete