Welcome to my blog. I see this as a place to reflect on my teaching practices and to share ideas and strategies with other teachers.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Since I am located in eastern North Carolina, I spent the weekend feeling the effects of Hurricane Irene.  At my home, I experienced a broken gate in the back yard, a fallen tree over a backyard fence, and a BUNCH of large limbs fallen from the trees in my front yard.  All in all, I was very fortunate that we suffered no real damage. 

We did, however, spend the weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday) with no electricity.  Power was restored on Sunday night at about 7PM.  And, let me tell you, I never realized just how important having electricity was!  With no computer, no TV, no Internet, and no running refridgerator, I was miserable.  With all of those things absent, I entertained myself by reading, sorting through my bag of school things, and cooking on our outdoor gas grill (I was very tired of eating cold cereal and sandwiches). 

After being in school with students for only 2 days, school was canceled for Monday and Tuesday due to hurricane damage.  I am still waiting to hear about Wednesday.  Needless to say, I am bummed that my plans for lessons with the students this week were ruined.  Not to mention that my student teacher will begin teaching next week and has still not observed me really teach! 

No comments:

Post a Comment